Non-DRM Distributors (digital and otherwise)
- Bookmat is not only the home of the dubby Modern Love dance label, but also houses a huge selection of experimental / electronic label releases, physical and digital alike.
- Downtown Music Gallery in NYC now has a decent web presence and a way to order securely by email, and is probably one of the best alternative record stores I’ve ever visited (multiple times!).
- Bleep – for all intents and purposes, Bleep picked up where EFA left off, distributing not only Warp artists but a great many other European labels; in fact WarpMart has now merged into Bleep.
- Kompakt is not only a great label with many sublabels, they also do a lot of European distribution as well, and is a great place for getting vinyl.
- Forced Exposure is my go-to for experimental releases on vinyl, though they carry CDs as well. No digital distribution, but they do carry Buddha Machines!
- Hard Wax
Sound (and other) Art
- UbuWeb features free downloads of many well known fringe artists, including both sound and video.
- SoundTransit is a collaborative, online community dedicated to field recording and phonography.
Free Samples and Loops
- The Freesound Project aims to create a huge collaborative database of audio snippets, samples, recordings, bleeps, etc. released under the Creative Commons Sampling Plus License.
- Soundsnap is another free sound sample and loop library.
- OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) features “Over 10GB of FREE Samples – for The Children of the World”